Dietary changes for low HDL cholesterol levels
- Weight loss. Even as little as 2-5 kg weight loss already starts to improve raised blood cholesterol levels.
- Reduce total carbohydrate intake especially refined carbohydrates like white bread, white rice, pastries, biscuits, etc.
- Replace refined carbohydrates with healthy fats like mono- and polyunsaturated fats such as avocado, olive oil, nuts and seeds. Choose carbohydrates that have a lower glycaemic index and are higher in fibre.
- Only consume alcohol in moderation, if at all.
- Limit added sugars such as sweets, chocolates, sweetened soft drinks, fruit juices, flavoured water and sweetened dairy products.