VISION and MISSION
A future where fewer South Africans are affected by cardiovascular disease (CVD)
To encourage prevention at all levels, empower South Africans to adopt healthy lifestyles and make healthy choices easier.
- Provide information and support to build healthy communities
- Advocate at all levels to minimise South Africans’ risk of developing heart disease and stroke
- Support research for improved tools and methods of CVD prevention
We are members of:
- World Heart Federation
- World Stroke Organisation
- African Heart Network
- South African Heart Association
- Heart disease and stroke are the second-biggest killers in South Africa, second only to HIV/AIDS.
- At least 80% of early deaths caused by heart disease and stroke can be avoided by following a healthy diet, regular physical activity, and avoidance of tobacco use.
- Cardiovascular disease remains the leading killer worldwide, and yet 80% of these deaths are preventable.